Thursday, February 12, 2009

quick to listen, slow to speak

The basis of this blog comes from something Mark Twain once said, "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." We are quick to turn up our noses, roll our eyes and shake our heads at the unknown. Travel has broken down my barriers of self-proclaimed superiority, and it has opened my eyes to a new appreciation of the world around me. I don't have to accept other people's belief systems, but I can at least take the time to understand where they're coming from. How can you have a truly negative view of someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes? I have discovered an underlying theme. No matter the race, religion or culture, we were all created to live in peace. Maybe if more people traveled, our world wouldn't suck so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment