Sunday, April 26, 2009

my drugs

I'm trying to figure out a way to fly internationally while stowing my drugs in my backpack--my prescription drugs that is. I've been traveling with pills as long as I can remember, but now I have to figure out how to travel with syringes. Not only are they considered a sharp object, they also have to be refrigerated at all times. My flight is 15hrs long. I've been researching, and I have found these little packs that are filled with gel. You submerge them in water and they stay cool for 48hrs. This sounds like the solution to my problem right? Wrong. What if the airport says no because it is technically over 3oz of liquid? Or what if they veto it because they're sharp objects? I wouldn't be concerned if I was just flying in the US, but the whole idea of international flights and customs makes me think of a million potential problems. I take one shot every other week, so I need to bring 4 syringes with me--another problem. My insurance won't let me refill in advance. Sure I could do it on my own, but the medication without insurance is 1 syringe for $1400. Yeah...I don't think so. So, now I have to get my Dr. to petition the insurance company. I have Crohn's Disease, and if I don't have my medication, it will be a very painful 8 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment